shiso garlic fried rice
2 cups brown rice
1 4″ piece ginger, peeled and minced
1 head garlic, minced
3 cups shiso leaves (about 2 cups roughly chopped)
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 large heads of bok choy, roughly chopped
1 lb shitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
1. put rice and 3 1/2 cups water in a medium pot, bring to a boil, stir once, then cover and reduce to a simmer. cook until rice is done and all the water is gone, about 30-40 minutes. set aside.
2. heat 1/4 cup canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the sliced shitakes and cook, stirring infrequently, until the mushrooms are soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. add 1/8 cup sesame oil and 1/8 cup soy sauce todeglaze the pan and let simmer for 5 minutes. then remove from the heat and set aside.
3. heat another 1/4 cup canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the chopped bok choy and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are wilted and the stems are cooked through, about 15 minutes. add 1/8 cup sesame oil and 1/8 cup soy sauce to deglaze the pan and let simmer for 5 minutes. then remove from the heat and set aside.
4. heat the remaining 1/4 cup canola oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. add the garlic and the ginger and stir frequently until soft, about 8 minutes. add the shiso leaf and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes. add the rice and stir until heated through.
5. serve the bok choy and mushrooms on top of the shiso garlic fried rice, seasoning with the remaining sesame oil and soy sauce to taste.