italian cherry cake
serves 8 to 10
3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup cornmeal
2 1/4 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 cup kirschwasser
1/4 cup olive oil
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1. preheat the oven to 350°f. grease a 9-inch round cake pan and coat evenly with the 3 tablespoons cornmeal.
2. in a medium bowl combine the cherries and lemon juice and macerate, using a fork or potato masher to extract juice from the cherries, until you have about 1/2 cup liquid (you can add more lemon juice if necessary). then add the kirschwasser, lemon zest, and olive oil and set aside.
3. in another medium bowl, sift together the flour, 1/4 cup cornmeal, and baking powder and set aside.
4. in a large bowl, beat the eggs and salt until light and frothy. slowly mix in the sugar and honey, beating until pale and thick, about 2 minutes.
5. gradually mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until fully incorporated. then fold in the cherry mixture until just combined.
6. pour the batter into the greased and cornmealed cake pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (if the top of the cake looks in danger of burning before the cake is fully cooked, simply cover with a sheet of tinfoil.)
7. remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack for about 20 minutes. then remove the cake from the pan and let cool to room temperature. serve with a scoop of ice cream for maximum satisfaction!