4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen, though fresh is far preferable. if using frozen, thaw and strain out excess liquid thoroughly before cooking.)
2 cups peaches (same as blueberries)
1 tablespoon tapioca starch or cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
topping (from my “grown-up cherry crumble”)
3/4 cup whole spelt flour (or flour of your choice)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into about 24 pieces
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup rolled oats
1. preheat the oven to 350°f.
2. in a large bowl, mix the blueberries, peaches, tapioca starch, and sugar and let stand for about 10 minutes.
3. pour the mixture evenly into a 9″ pie plate and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the mixture begins to bubble. be sure to place a sheet pan or tin foil under the pie plate in the oven to catch any overflowing bubbles of fruit!
4. while the fruit is baking, prepare the crumble topping. combine the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. mix the butter in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal. add the walnuts, almonds, and oats and toss lightly to combine.
5. when ready, remove the pie from the oven and place on a heat proof surface. spoon the topping mixture evenly over the fruit mixture and return the pie to the oven. bake for another 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown. again, be sure to place a sheet pan or tin foil under the pie plate while baking.