apple roasted duck
1 4-5 lb duck, rinsed and dried, with giblets removed and neck put aside (if present, sometimes the neck and giblet are not sold with the duck)
4 medium apples, cored and cut into 8 pieces each
1 large onion, cut into 8 pieces
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
3 tbps finely chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as rosemary, sage, thyme, and oregano)
1 large sprig each fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, and oregano
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups verjus
1. preheat the oven to 250°f.
2. scatter the apples, onions, and garlic in the olive oil around the bottom of the roasting pan. then pour the olive oil over them and toss to coat. place a roasting rack over the apples, onions, and garlic.
3. pierce the skin and fat layer of the duck with a skewer or small paring knife, about 20-30 times, taking care not to pierce the meat. coat the duck thoroughly with the chopped herbs, season with salt and pepper, and put the sprigs of herbs inside the cavity. place the duck breast-side-down on the rack.
4. roast for 3 hours, re-piercing the skin and fat layer every hour.
5. after 3 hours, turn the duck breast-side-up and add the verjus to the roasting pan. increase the oven temperature to 350°f and cook for another 45 minutes.
6. remove the duck from the roasting pan and set aside on a cutting board to rest. return the roasting pan to the oven, increase the oven temperature to 400°f and cook for another 10 minutes.
7. remove the apples, onions, and garlic from the roasting pan with a slotted spoon and put them aside in a bowl. pour the remaining jus into a large pyrex measuring cup or other tall, heat-proof container. allow the fat to settle at the top, about 5 minutes, and then carefully remove the fat with a spoon. when most of the fat has been removed, pour the jus over the apple mixture.
8. to serve, carve the duck and serve with a large spoonful of the apple mixture and jus.