truffle-roasted corn and kohlrabi chowder
2 onions, diced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
9 ears of corn
2 kohlrabi, medium-small diced
Greens from 2 kohlrabi, stemmed and thinly sliced
1/2 cup goat’s milk yogurt (or plain yogurt)
2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground white pepper
2 tablespoons truffle oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. preheat oven to 350°f.
2. cut the kernels off 6 ears of corn and set aside, reserving the cobs. in a large saucepan, combine the cobs, 1 of the diced onions, and 8 cups of water.
3. place over high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. cover and cook for 20 minutes. turn off the heat and leave covered for an additional 30 minutes.
4. while the corncobs are cooking, coat the diced kohlrabi and 3 whole ears of corn with 1 tablespoon of truffle oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. spread out on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until evenly brown. remove from oven and cool slightly. cut the kernels off the cobs, toss with the kohlrabi in an additional ½ tablespoon of truffle oil, lightly season with salt and pepper, and set aside. discard the cobs.
5. place a large saucepan over medium-low heat and add the butter or olive oil. add the remaining diced onion and sauté until soft and translucent, but not browned, about 20 minutes. add raw corn kernels and sauté until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. remove from heat and set aside.
6. when stock has finished steeping, strain it, discarding the cobs and onions. add 6 cups of stock to the pot of corn kernels. return to medium heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
7. allow the soup to cool. working in batches, blend the soup in a food processor or blender until the soup is smooth*. return to pot and reheat on medium until hot. then turn heat to low, stir in the yogurt, and season with salt and pepper.
8. In a small saute pan, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium-low heat. add the sliced kohlrabi greens and allow them to cook, stirring infrequently, for about 5 minutes, or until crisp and bright green. add the greens to the roast kohlrabi and corn.
9. garnish each bowl with a large spoonful of the roasted kohlrabi, corn, and greens mixture and a few drops of additional truffle oil before serving.